Friday, November 29, 2024

Tales From Black Friday 2024

IT IS UPON US ONCE MORE

The doors open with a hiss, as if of warning.

The lights blink and flicker, hard to see into the dark between the aisles.

I can tell there are other customers here. Maybe staff as well? But the announcements over the PA sound... distant.

Something about a discount, but I couldn't tell what for. I can just hear footsteps heading that way, and someone whispering "one third off" somewhere to my left.

Is anyone here?

Am I here?

Another announcement, so distorted it's barely recognizable as speech.

The feet shuffle towards another aisle.

I don't think they're getting closer, but...

I run.

Don't look back
Don't look back
Don't look back
Don't look back

Someone asks "Can I help you find something?"

I manage to stop screaming after a few seconds.

"The way out?"
"Oh, ah, of course. If... If you take me with you."

She suppresses a shiver.

"What did they offer you to work tonight?"
"Time and a half. And the same tomorrow. It sounded good. Then."
"I'm so sorry."

She points and I lead the way. We're close. I think. It's still so hard to see.

Another announcement. Sixty percent off...

I always wanted one of those.

I didn't think they still even made them.

"Don't listen!" she cries and grabs my arm.

I nod and turn back to the exit.

We reach the door. But I see too late it's been repurposed as an entrance during the second rush.

We can wait. Or we can fight.

I manage to divert some of the crowd with a lie about the must have toy. I don't even know what the must have toy is. I don't think they do either.

We get to the door. I take a gasping breath of winter air.

She stumbles to her car.

I look back. The store is a blur of light, a dark shape, real and not real moment to moment. But still people are trying to get in.

I find the coupon that all started this, still in my pocket.

The ink has run, I can't even read what it was for any more.

I can't remember either.

I crumple it up and put it the recycling bin.

I get to my car. Get in. Chance a look back in the mirror.

The store looks... normal now.

But I drive away anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment