Saturday, October 1, 2022

Month Of Darkness 2022 Vamptober

#Vamptober 2022


1: Me, my blood and I
Having been on a samey diet for a couple of weeks after getting a tooth out recently, I would definitely want to vary the hunt if I was stuck drinking blood for every meal.

2: Like Sire, Like Childe
Most Kindred I create have pretty bad relationships with their sires. (Tanith was a notable exception.) And sometimes they meet their grandsires and see how well or badly they get on. And so on...

3: My Eternal Conviction
My Vampire PCs often had causes and things to hold onto before V5 introduced Convictions and Ambitions. My NPCs are often kind of narrow and defined by them, as they're NPCs and don't need to respond to everything.

Kay Marlowe
4: The Powerful One
There's nothing like a title to make people backstabby in LARPs and chats.

5: What hides in the dark?
It's what shows off in the dark that you should really worry about.

6: The Monster In Me
I generally play the Beast as mood swings, and the Kindred recognize that they're new impulses, something to be dealt with.

7: You Are What You Eat
Without the need for blood, or many mortal characters around, Vampire can easily become a game about cool superpowered gangsters. Which is a fun game! But not always the one I signed up for.

8: Memoriam
Having seen Highlander at an impressionable age, I like the Memoriam system for flashbacks, sometimes helpful and sometimes just atmospheric. I haven't had much of a chance to deal with it though, as most vampire PCs aren't that old.

9: Will You Be Mine Forever?
Forever is a long time. And vampires are capable of it, but still have human feelings as well as the urges of the Beast. Enjoy while it lasts.

10: Where Bloodsuckers Dance
Vampire games often start in clubs, but it can be fun to stay in them.

11: My Safe Haven
I never really have vampires hang around their havens like people at home. They should be out at night and inactive by day...

12: Humanity Lost
I like the broadening of the idea in Requiem 2 and Masquerade 5, although it does mean it can be easy to avoid.

13: We Gather Here Tonight
A room full of vampires is either a large player base game like a LARP or chat, or an overworked Storyteller.

14: The Curse Of My Blood
How much do vampires change with specifics of clan lineage and the like? I vary it a lot. Tanith knew her temper was part of her inheritance and tried to keep it in check.

15: Remorse
I play up this aspect of the curse extensively, and try to include hints of it in some NPCs as well as my PCs to show players that their characters aren't totally alone.

16: Things I've Learnt Since I Died
Vampires will probably have to mix in different social circles sooner rather than later unless they stay very close to their mortal lives. Clubbing, high society for Elysium, and some crime here and there...

17: When Sun Used To Shine
Remember the time Claudia and Tanith magically became human for a day? And it kind of broke them.

18: Can We Drink From Each Other?
Yes, but...

19: Let The Darkness Embrace You
In Requiem, vampires can see in the dark. That seems sensible.

20: The Worst Night Of My Unlife
... could happen any time. Vampires' unlives, and the lives of those around them, can go wrong with little or no warning.
Of course that's true for us too - every time you cross the street, for example - but we don't build RPG stories about that being a possibility.
The constant risk of a disastrous accident or an attack from out of nowhere can add a lot, or make it a bit too tense.

21: Special Diet
Food can bring happiness and comfort, stir fond memories. Blood doesn't do that.

22: Fashion Never Dies
Never trust a player who doesn't think about their Vampire character's style.

23: Can Vampires Feel Love?
If they can't I'm not really interested.

24: The Masquerade
The Masquerade makes sense as a concept but nightly details can raise a lot of issues best handwaved.

25: Faith(less)
The Church of Caine is great fun, especially with know-it-all players from previous editions.

26: Fight Until The Last Drop
I don't really run that kind of game. But sometimes it can all kick off.

27: Something To Unlive For
Love! Friendship! Art! Partying! Sadly not food...
I've always wanted to do a hangout Vampire game, but tabletop sessions tend to concentrate on plot and stuff. Nightly chat works much better for this.

28: What Makes Me Remember
Can you still see your family or friends? The places you grew up? Do you have mementos of loved ones? And to use an old joke as a plot point, how would you feel if you saw something of yours in a museum?

29: Don't Trust The One With Fangs
That includes yourself.

30: Hope Dies Last
I remind myself to include some positive characters in the setting. Who generally aren't vampires.

31: The End Of Me
My games don't feature a lot of character death, but my Vampire games have occasional walking into the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment