Friday, June 21, 2024

Mage: The Ascension - Sunset City 1

Compiled from the previous incarnation of this blog:

1/10
Gaming this autumn...

I'm playing Mage: The Ascension.

YES I'M A HOLLOW ONE

YES I HAVE A BLACK CAT

IT IS OCTOBER

MY TIME OF POWER

BATS!

--

8/10

Introducing Didi Duvall. She is the Worst.

Ksenia Solo as rarely helpful comedy sidekick Kenzi in Lost Girl


Vital Mage: The Ascension news:

Since someone else has chosen to be all heroic, I have decided to be a terrible sidekick.

I will at some point be reacting to a plan like this.
(roll eyes)

Or this.
(cringe)

Maybe also like this.
(tut)

Possibly even this.
(drinking shot)

I will probably give her nice moments too. Probably.
("I got your back no matter how stupid.")

Sometimes.




1.01
15/10

Achievement unlocked:

Didi is indeed THE WORST.

"I'm trying to be supportive and not take off my shoe and throw it at you. Because these shoes were really expensive."

"Yes I have a poster of The Craft on my wall, what is your point?"

The Hermetic occult scholar, Ecstatic DJ, Adept hacker and Akashic warrior must be so pleased.

Simon, Jack, V, Cara

--

1.02
21/10

Operation: Being THE WORST continues.

On needing to summon and question a demon, turns to Jack: "We could go down to the crossroads with a guitar and offer him your soul?"

--

Possible Didi background
Thanks be unto Reuel


"How do I set an alert again?"
"Damn it, Covenmom..."

--

1.03
28/10

Was I THE WORST some more? YES.

I distracted some guards with a technique learned from Claudia Welles involving inappropriate popsicle eating.



--

1.04
3/11

WORSTNESS INTENSIFIES

Added much insult to various demon cultists' injuries after our Akashic friend Cara demolished them.

I'm sure some of the still conscious were deeply chastened by my words.

--

1.05
11/11

Up to now, our hero has run entirely on normal abilities and coincidental magic, being a distraction and/or irritant to the various bad guys (demon cultists, security for a sinister occult collector, various other idiots trying to recover a world-threatening artefact) but this time out I actually had to do a thing.

So her paradigm is based on uncertainty and distraction, like magic tricks (and picking pockets, but that's totally beside the point, ahem) so I've made her good at nudging vulgar magic to vulgar without witnesses if she can't make it full-on coincidental. "I bet if you hit the door just right you can get the hinges to pop out." She mostly uses her "I'm a wiiiiitch!" shtick to scare people in the know.

--

1.06
18/11

Tonight, we went into battle. and our hero stomped on a guy's foot with a high heel and then fell over as he pulled it away.

"Ya weren't expecting that, huh?!"

--

1.07
26/11

This week Didi was supportive and only mildly snarky with Cara the lovely Akashic.

But she was extremely cutting with some cultists so I feel it balances.


--

1.08
2/12

This week: DRINKING

Not pictured, the Ecstatic she drank under that table.

Did I mention she was THE WORST?

--

1.09
9/12

This week, we investigated the big boss demon thingy.


--

15/12
'Tis now the totally bitchin' time of night

Last Mage session (for now?) tomorrow, so I may have to go all out and steal someone's boyfriend or diss someone's hair.

--

1.10
16/12

Demon cult defeated. I used coincidental magic to be at the right door to trip the evil wizard as he tried to escape the righteous Akashic beatdown.

Also, an unhelpful contact was threatened with infertility through hexing.

So yes, THE WORST.

My work here is done.

(December 16th so...)


--

January 2019
10/1

And now the moment you've all been waiting foooooor...

DIDI DUVALL, WORST CABALMATE AND BEST HOLLOW ONE EVER, WILL RETURN

Probably on Sunday.

I need to get in practice.

--

1.11
13/1

Start as you mean to go on

And so we returned to Mage: The Ascension.

Didi Duvall, Hollow One and also THE WORST, hit a ghoul with a shovel.

We then had to wait for him to wake up to question him.

--

1.12
20/1

I have many questions.

So then there was research with the Order of Hermes and Tradition mage snootiness. This went great.

--

1.13
28/1

Vital update

Cara the Akashic, our actual hero, fought the creepy wizard behind the artefact robberies. Didi was also present.

--

1.14: Who's the fairest of them all? Me, obviously.
4/2

Identity theft via magic mirror? No way that'll get confusing!

Update: It got confusing.

--

1.15
10/2

I swear this setup was deliberate.

"I can ask them something only the real one would know."
"Like what? You've never met the real one."
"... Shit."

But despite this early setback, Didi's ability to open doors and hit people with them proved slightly useful and the thief was caught. Though not before stealing something powerful from the Hermetic arsenal.

This is fine.

--

1.16: "Air Quotes"
18/2

On being introduced to a Hermetic investigation team: "So we 'trust' these people, do we?"


--

1.17: This is fine
24/2...

To the Ecstatic: "So, your mentor, um..."

(mimes long puff on cigarette-like thing)

In his defense, he did not deny it.

And then the Hermetic investigators came back with actual knowledge, which was more helpful.

So now we just have to stop a reality storm.

"... I need to call my mom."

--

1.18: So, yeah, reality storm threatening.
3/3


Didi: "I use magic to score free drinks and impress boys. Can we run?"
Cara: "You can. I'll understand."
Didi: "Damn it, now I'll feel guilty!"

She sits back down. Later, as they discuss the plan:

Cara: "You weren't really planning on running, were you?"
Didi: "No... Well, not entirely..."

Simon the Hermetic comes up with a way of tracking the storm stone before it gets activated, and off we go to battle.

Didi distracts some guards, in this case by siccing bats on them.

Even in the face of mortal danger, Didi is ON BRAND.

--

1.19: We're all fine here. How are you?
11/3

Villain defeated. Reality storm stopped as it started and villain kicked into it. Everyone somewhat bruised.

Request for next time that we go to a fancy party.

--

1.20: This party ain't fancy
17/3

Update: We did not go to a fancy party.

BUT WE WILL.

In the meantime, stopping a demon summoning frat. Gross.

Fortunately they were not generally very perceptive, allowing coincidental magic like "Hey, your shoes are untied!" to work.

--

1.21: Priorities
24/3

Didi: "Okay, we need to distract that nice Hermetic chick so we can investigate. Bonus, maybe we can get Simon laid."
V: "..."
Didi: "You got your priorities..."

--

1.22: Update from the front
31/3

Attempts to get Simon to actually ask the girl out continue.

Meanwhile, curses.

--

1.23
7/4

And this week...

BOOK THEFT MWAHAHAHAHAA

--

--

Vital update
14/4

No MtA session this week. Next week: FANCY PARTY.

--

1.24: FANCY PARTY
21/4

FANCY PARTY

FANCY PARTY

I'm not saying I used my magic powers to steal a dress but if you were to think that I could neither confirm nor deny.

"Did you just fangirl at that vampire?"
"... No..."

So, we can probably defeat the arcane artefact theft ring and still get Library Girl to go out with Simon. Priorities.

Also, this happened to Cara. Strange.

Holland Roden

And then guys asked her to dance. Very strange. Ahem.

--

1.25: Afterparty
28/4

Game continues! Alas, FANCY PARTY does not.

Although some of Didi's excited selfies with the super-cool vampires probably broke the Masquerade.

And she spent most of the evening asking Cara about the guys who asked her to dance, and nudging Simon to ask Book Girl out. Because Priorities.

Oh, and we fought a guy who was trying to summon ghosts for blackmail.

And by we, I mostly mean Cara.

--

1.26: Didi goes clubbing
8/5

Jack the Ecstatic tried to impress us with his magic backstage pass when we snuck into a club to search for a demon.

"Oh honey, the security guy was a GUY."

--

1.27: Reminder: Didi is THE WORST
12/5

And what did Didi contribute this week? Advice, I guess...?

"You need to get laid."

--

1.28
19/5

Success!

Simon asked Book Girl to a concert.

--

1.29: Priorities
26/5

We may have gone along to make sure the date went well.

And get dressed up, and maybe meet some fancy vampires.


Cara, less sold.


--

1.30: This will be FINE
2/6

Final confrontation imminent. Demon raising book stealing bad person about to have his ass kicked. Didi will be able to mark 'present'.

--

1.31: Didi hits the road
9/5

Last session (for now, hopefully) and much ass was kicked.

And Didi tripped a guy. With magic! She is THE WORST after all.

Playing Didi has been huge fun, a licence to be snarky and at best vaguely helpful.

So, yes, a break from being the hero, highly recommended. As long as everybody's okay with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment