Mage: The Ascension - Sunrise City
The further adventures of a circle of mages in San Francisco
Sunset City 1 (not yet called that)
Sunset City 4Cara Lawson, Akashayana
In every generation there is a chosen one
Simon Donovan, Hermetic
May have consulted on the new season of The Librarians
Alissa Kwan, Ecstatic
All the pretty girls and all the pretty boys they get dressed up and go out dancing
Michael Lang, Verbena
Cowboy Druid
And last but definitely least:
Didi Duvall, Hollow One
Wants to be Agatha Harkness when she grows up
4A.01: Into The Portal
26/07
Our heroes (and Didi) have been enjoying relative peace and quiet - cut to Cara kicking a ghoul in the face and Simon casting out a demon - when Martin, the master of Time magic who pressed them into rewriting history to save his wife a while back, approaches them seeming tense.
Someone is planning to launch an attack on the city's Tradition Library, the base of the mages on the west coast.
When it was built.
Over a century ago.
It's been well enough concealed that he just detected it.
We go to try and stop the time warping ritual before it activates.
But it's too late.
So Martin throws us back in time to stop it.
At least this time he tells us that's all he can do and gives us a moment to nod before he widens the portal and in we go.
Promising a soft landing.
--
Didi wakes to find herself in a nice bed. In a nice room.
With a couple of women in old-fashioned maid uniforms coming to help her get ready for the day.
II's 1883.
![]() |
| Surprise! Mage: The Ascension - Victorian Age |
Didi tries not to look too stoked about getting a wardrobe full of Victorian dresses in mourning colours.
![]() |
| Miss Didi Duvall |
When separated by weird events, the first place the circle will check is one of their regular hangouts, the café near the university history buildings.
Of course none of that has been built yet. But the first place to look would be a café near where it will be.
And she's perfectly happy to take a carriage to get there.
Judging by the outfits, the maids, the house and this, she's rich.
--
Simon was first to arrive. He looks about as academic as usual, even more tweedy. He looks up from a newspaper and goes to pull out her chair.
![]() |
| Dr. Simon Donovan |
Simon: "Well, you look... this is not all surprising."
Didi: "Hard same."
And then Cara arrives, also wearing a gorgeous visiting dress in royal blue, and looking rather less keen on it than Didi.
![]() |
| Miss Cara Lawson |
Didi: "Oh my gosh you look amazing." (hug)
Cara: "I better, I had a maid working on all this for like twenty minutes."
Next is Alissa, all in lavender pink complete with floral bonnet. She gives Didi and Cara hugs and shows off, all smiles.
![]() |
| Miss Alissa Kwan |
Alissa: "So I just arrived by carriage. And you all look sooooo good!"
Cara: grumble
Alissa: "So are we, like, rich? I seem to be an old money debutante or something."
Simon: "No day jobs means we have time to investigate."
Cara: "Once the maids let us out. I coulda been slightly less rich just fine."
Finally, Michael arrives, in a nicely tailored black suit and coat with matching cowboy hat and a jangle of spurs.
| Mr. Michael Lang |
Didi: "So Simon has gone full Giles and Michael's Wyatt Earp."
Cara: "This is fine I'm not jealous at all."
Didi: "There's a bunch of ways this could have gone. No help and we'd have arrived as is, no place in the world. We woulda had to steal. Or get jobs."
Michael: "Not a problem, I could rob a bank."
Alissa: "Or get jobs."
Didi: "Hey, we're very qualified to be dancing girls at the saloon."
Cara: "Okay, liking being idle rich more."
Didi: "Especially you with the high kicks."
Cara: "..."
Didi: "Or we could all have ended up in one household. I'd probably be your maid. Which would mean you'd still be my dress-up doll."
Cara: "But I'd get to shush you."
Simon sets down the second city newspaper he's read through. "So. The university medical school opened its third building in 1881. The kind of thing that make a city a candidate for a Tradition presence. The Library won't open for a few years but plans are being drawn up."
Michael: "So what do we do, wait for the guy to make a move?"
Simon: "We can investigate but we can't draw too much attention. Just being here is a paradox."
Cara: "Okay, I'm the most experienced time traveller here."
Didi: "Meaning this is your third time instead of your second."
Cara: "Yes."
Cara: "So we stay undercover, research... avoid contact with the Mages of this time unless we have to, they're the most likely to glitch this."
Alissa: "So we do what we're expected to do?"
Cara: "Until we have reason not to."
Alissa: "So are we all going to the theater tomorrow?"
Cara: "I guess - "
Didi, squeeing: "That means dressing up even more!"
Alissa, squeeing: "What were you thinking? I have a fitting later today."
Didi, squeeing: "Me too!"
Cara. not squeeing: "(sigh)... Me too."
Cara: "Okay, as long as we can get back, we be good. Take only photographs, leave only footprints. Maybe some light Quantum Leap put the wrong things right. And we shouldn't be, we've got some options. We can get a cryo chamber if we have to. But if we do get stuck here, I'm gonna kick this century's ass. I'm talking voting equality, vaccines, warn people about the earthquake, go to Austria and kick H*tl*r's dad in the nuts, we'll start there."
Simon: "But if we're not careful, paradox will throw us back to our own time with the mission uncompleted. Or rewrite us to be who it thinks we should be here and now. Or erase us entirely. Or the universe."
Didi: "... So, being careful."
--
OOC
We picked outfits for day one and beyond, and revealed them as we met up in character.
Didi, Alissa and Michael are already enjoying it, Simon is unfazed and Cara would like it if not for practical considerations like being able to fight. Her player is so mean to her.
TPO Cara: I'm sure she'll get to wear trousers at some point in the adventure. Maybe the end when we get back. If we do...
--
4A02: Who We Appear To Be
In which the circle attend the theater
2/08
The ladies go to dress fittings with varying degrees of willingness. Otherwise the circle have the day to themselves to research and investigate. No obvious Time magic traces to detect, unfortunately.
Simon looks up occult societies to check for Hermetic insiders. Didi checks spiritualists for proto-Hollows. No making contact, not yet...
And Michael is approached by a witch.
Very much in the style of gunfighters sizing each other up.
Gabrielle: "You should not be here. You should not even be born for more than a hundred years. Why shouldn't I send you back?"
Michael: "If you can tell that, you can tell someone else sent us here. And we have a mission here. Send us back now and our timeline's ruined, maybe destroyed."
Gabrielle: "So I have to trust you're not the largest threat? But a threat you are all the same, just by being here. I go as far back as you and I could help Benjamin Franklin with the kite and the lightning. Or stop it, break a century of science."
Michael: "I know. Can you send us back?"
Gabrielle: "The long way, but you'd sleep through it."
Michael: "Alright. If we don't get a ride home when this is over we might need that."
Gabrielle: "My eyes are on you, traveller."
--
The group meet at Cara's townhouse. She looks awkward as one of the maids brings coffee and cake.
Simon finds some academic and mystical societies that might be connected to the founding of the Tradition Library, some near the growing university and other schools.
Cara: "Let me guess. Gentleman's clubs?"
Simon: "Ah, well, uh, this one isn't."
So now they have a plan, of sorts.
Cara: "Wish I could go out tonight. Beat up some monsters."
Didi: "I'm sure there will be monsters at the theater tomorrow."
Cara: "Promise?"
--
More research, and then arranging to meet in the theater restaurant ahead of the play.
Didi arrives early, as a black dress and accessories are easy to coordinate.
Simon in full white tie, complete with top hat and cane.
Didi: "Ooh, someone's made an effort!"
Simon: "Well, I figured I needed to be allowed in."
"Got a rabbit in that hat?" Michael chuckles. Still a fancy Wild West gentleman.
Didi: "So do we get to meet anybody famous at this? Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde?"
Simon: "Nobody I've ever heard of in the programme."
Didi: "Aww."
Alissa hands in a cape to the cloakroom as she arrives to make a full entrance, in white gold satin, showing off with a huge smile.
Alissa: "Okay we all look fabulous."
Didi: "I know, right? I am living happily ever after right here."
Alissa: "Me too! But... you think Cara's gonna show?"
Simon looks at the clock and frowns.
And then enter Cara, in a sunshine yellow gown by Worth of Paris, diamonds and a tiara.
Cara: "I told them it was probably a bit much."
Didi: "Okay new plan Cara becomes Queen of California and we all live in the palace."
Cara: "Shut uuuuup." She snaps her fan open for emphasis.
Didi: "Oh come on, you've always been the queen of us."
Cara: "No I'm not And also if I was I'd be like Xena, not..." She gestures to herself. "Belle?"
Didi: "Hey, we can never be royals."
Alissa, sotto voce: "Royals!"
Didi: "Lemme live that fantasy."
Cara shakes her head but smirks.
Didi, kindly: "I can tell you're enjoying it and that's okay."
Cara, smiling slightly: "Long as I don't have to move at full speed..."
Dining and drinks ahead of the play give the group a chance to see (a) how many people are checking them out, which is many, (b) if anyone is a monster, not obviously to Cara's disappointment but also relief, "I do not wanna get this dirty", and (c) if anyone knows them in their new roles...
And apparently so. A young man gets Hugh Grant flustered seeing Miss Alissa and asks what she thinks of the play before it starts. And a woman in a sleek silvery gown appears to be appraising Cara like a duelling opponent. Which she's used to, but not for social combat.
At the intermission the woman, Cecilia Montague, approaches to make smilingly pointed small talk. Cara recognises the general attitude from fighting over who gets to be prom queen.
![]() |
| Cecilia, based on Meg Donnelly |
And the boy, Edward Forbes, asks if Alissa has already filled her dance card for the ball at the end of the month.
--
OOC
TPO Cara: Cara is currently in the 1880s and hoping that having to dress like a lady doesn't get her or anyone else killed.
Me: Behind the scenes footage of the girls getting to choose outfits excitedly and Holland saying "It'll be an acting challenge to pretend I don't like this."
--
--
4A03: Horseshoes
In which Cara goes riding, Didi attends a séance and Alissa enjoys a stroll in the park
09/08
Cara rises early. She has a plan.
This plan does involve meeting some ladies and confirming, in passing, that she's been written into their lives as well.
Abigail: "So good to see you here, dear. We must compare notes on plans for the ball."
Olivia: "Oh, we must!"
Cara: "Ah, yes, of course..."
Abigail: "Can't have that Cecilia upstaging you, can we?"
But also some physical activity.
--
Sunday, another day of research, and another meeting for afternoon tea at a café near the city's Free Library, forerunner to the public library and therefore important to the city as a whole and to the future Tradition Library in particular, to compare notes.
Simon is the first there again, giving himself time to check his notes.
Didi second. Today wearing a plum purple visiting ensemble, waiting for the other ladies to arrive so they can compliment her on it.
Cara: "So, this is a riding habit. Apparently the ones with pants under the skirt haven't happened yet but this is still the best I can move so far. Although this blouse is the frilliest thing I've ever worn since I was baptized as a baby. And maybe not even then."
Didi: "It's adorable."
Cara: "Thanks I guess?"
Didi: "And yes it might be the frilliest thing anyone's ever worn."
Cara "And it did mean I had to actually go riding to get to wear it."
Didi: "So you're a horse girl now."
Cara: "Yes. And apparently I have a bunch of lady friends at the riding club as a result. Oh and maybe I can do archery as well. But that doesn't need anything special to wear. Isn't there something about fencing for ladies around now? With, like, outfits you can move in?"
Didi: "Not for about another decade."
Cara: "Damn it."
Didi: "Soz babe."
Michael joins them, adjusting his tie.
Michael: "Yeah, it's rough. I mean, keeping a tie straight?"
Cara gives him a very That's Not The Same And You Know It look.
Finally Alissa enters proudly wearing white and pink this time.
Alissa: "Oh don't you all look lovely? Oh, Cara, can you help me with something tomorrow?"
Cara: "Sure, what is it?"
Alissa: "I need a chaperone for high tea and a walk in the park with a gentleman."
Cara: "... Okay...?"
Alissa: "Oh like you don't have suitors."
Cara: "Apparently yes I do but I wasn't planning to spend a lot of time with any of them."
Alissa: "Hey, we have to go to the ball at the end of the month, we're all on the guest list and it's for an educational charity so it's probably something to do with why we're here, right?"
Simon: "Most likely."
Alissa: "So we gotta dance with these boys, might as well talk to them first, right? Be better at staying in character."
Cara: "... Fine, fair enough. What time?"
Alissa: "Two."
Didi: "And this isn't the same boy from the theater, is it?"
Alissa blushes and looks at the menu.
Didi: "How many boys are trying to marry you?"
Alissa: "I think only three of them are serious..."
Didi and Cara share a look.
Alissa: "Five, max."
Simon lays out some notes about the current state of development for the Free Library, the University and other educational facilities around the Bay Area.
Simon: "This is the perfect time for a move like this. San Francisco's becoming a really settled city but there's still plenty of time to mess things up and plenty of room for people to come and go without a lot of questions."
Cara: "Hence us being able to move in and be accepted."
Alissa: "And the guy we're after."
Simon: "I took a ferry to Berkeley to see how it's coming along. There are definitely some Awakened there. But nobody approached me, just I could tell I was being observed."
Michael: "And the local Verbena... Verbenae I should say. She could tell I was from, ah, out of town, but I've asked and she can't find the big Time guy."
Cara: "Makes sense we'd be more obvious. So keep checking."
Didi: "I have a séance this evening. Anybody wanna come?"
Cara: "Sure, I can fight ghosts if I have to."
Michael: "Sounds like a party."
Didi: "Ooh, so what's your horse's name?"
Cara: "... Bluebell."
Didi: "Aww!"
--
Didi switches to a black dinner dress for the séance with a local Sepulchral - one of the names before Hollow Ones became a proper thing.
Cara regretfully does the same with royal blue.
"After a day moving easier it's even worse."
Michael was fancy by his standards already so doesn't change. Boys.
--
The séance confirms a few things. There has been a disruption in the flow of time, which is building to a danger soon. It's too unfocused to pinpoint yet, but getting clearer.
Oh, and as payment Didi has to help with a possible haunting sometime this week.
--
Next day Alissa has her afternoon tea and walk date with Jonathan Li, scion of possibly the richest family in Chinatown.
She is or wants to seem keen so she wears even more pink than last time.
--
And at the Free Library, Simon receives a visit from one of the Berkeley mages. She looks concerned.
"Excuse me. Are you a sign of the end of the world?"
--
OOC
Our heroes have had chances to dress a bit more how they choose. Which has had no real effect on Didi or Simon who were already 1880s versions of themselves, Michael is still doing the novelty Fancy Cowboy but wants to get more casual if he can, Cara has found a slight improvement but not getting to wear it all the time makes going full dressy again worse. And Alissa is 100% in her princess era.
TPO Cara: The riding ensemble was going to be Cara's outfit for day one before I decided to dress her up more.
Me: You monster.
--
4A04: The House Out Of Time
In which Didi achieves her final form
16/08
Simon assures Georgiana that he probably isn't a harbinger of the end times, though if she can help find the person who is that would be great. She is still suspicious, but accepts that he seems sincere, and arranges to have her mostly Hermetic study group meet with the circle.
--
Alissa continues trying to figure our if any of her would-be husbands are part of the villainous plot. Her plan involves more walks in the park, afternoon tea, bandstand concerts and that kind of thing, and seeing which of them does the most jockeying for position for when they get to dance with her at the ball.
--
Didi repays Madam Zaleska the proto-Hollow medium by going to investigate a house on the outskirts of the city. Cara and Michael come along for possible monster-fighting support. Cara packs some boy clothes she' s acquired in case she gets a chance needs to fight.
Once inside our heroes quickly confirm that the haunting is to do with a terrible secret in the house's past which is echoing through time, now especially because of the higher background Time magic level.
This also involves a sinister housekeeper and a locked suite of chambers, with dustsheets over the furniture so they look like classic ghosts and everything.
Cara gets to shove the sinister housekeeper into a closet and stop her interfering. Sadly she doesn't have to put on pants to do so.
Didi manages to identify the ghostly fetter and escape the house with it as one ghost tries to stop her and another urges her on.
But not before spending most of the night in the house, running around dramatically in her nightdress holding a candelabra.
![]() |
| Oh yeah. This happened. |
Cara: "Are you okay?"
Didi: "Are you kidding? I just fulfilled a lifelong ambition!"
--
OOC
We might have 'sjoppeed images of Cara and Alissa in the nightgown and candelabra combo too. Cara does not look happy.
Roll credits over a Goth cover of the Dark Shadows theme.
What do you mean you can't find a Goth cover of the Dark Shadows theme?
--
4A05: Competition
In which our heroes attend a regatta and a concert, Michael gets to fulfil one of his lifelong ambitions and Alissa comes close as well. Cara, not so much.
23/08
As the group meets at Cara's to compare notes, Alissa enters with a bounce in her step.
Alissa: "The yacht club is holding is quarterly regatta tomorrow afternoon."
Cara: "And we have to go...?"
Alissa: "Big social event, yada yada, have to see and be seen, plus there's a chance the bad guys will come too."
Didi: "So how many of your suitors have yachts?"
Alissa: "... Two."
Cara: "Okay fine, but I'm not wearing a sailor dress."
Alissa: "Darn right, I have mine picked out already."
--
The circle assemble at the yacht club, apart from Michael, who comes up with an excuse not to have to.
![]() |
| Cara having a nice day out |
![]() |
| Didi having a pleasant day out |
![]() |
| Simon having a delightful day out |
![]() |
| Alissa having a lovely day out |
Didi: "Come on babe, we all have to make sacrifices. I mean, I'm wearing white too!"
Cara: "..."
--
Alissa meets with Edward and one of the other many boys trying to impress her, and he manages not to get too distracted so he only nearly falls off his boat.
--
Michael goes to meet Gabrielle and confirms that there are other outsiders around.
"And some others are asking questions as well."
And she nods to a man in a dark coat and hat.
Who pulls a gun.
Michael gets in front of Gabrielle and starts firing back.
![]() |
| Michael having the best day out, maybe one of the best days ever |
--
Cara chats with some of the other ladies from the riding club also in attendance, and sees Cecilia and her entourage here as well.
Cecilia approaches, all nearly convincing smiles.
Didi moves in to a flanking position.
Cecilia: "Cara, darling, so lovely to see you and, oh, Delia, I hardly recognised you in an ensemble you can be clearly seen in."
Didi "Cecilia."
Cecilia: "While I have you, a quick request. Quid pro quo if you will. I understand at the ball Miles Danforth is going to ask one of us for the first dance and one for the last before the interval. Do you have a preference?"
Cara: "You asked so by all means you go first."
Cecilia: "Only if Lester Samuels hasn't asked me already. Now I'm not saying you have to marry Miles just for my convenience but if you could keep him busy for the first waltz?"
Cara: "I suppose... you said quid pro quo?"
Cecilia: "I know my brother Jonathan would like the first dance with you after the interval, I can drop a hint one way or another?"
Cara: "That depends what you'd prefer there."
Cecilia: "You would make a charming sister-in-law, I'm sure." With a bright smile and a tone of Don't Even.
Cara: "I might sit that one out."
Cecilia: "Good. Do enjoy the rest of the afternoon!"
She strides back to her gang happily.
Cara: "What just happened?"
Didi: "I think you avoided becoming Lady Montague but I'm honestly not sure."
Cara: "Cool...?"
--
Alissa congratulates Edward on his boating prowess. He suggests taking her rowing sometime and she smiles and bats her lashes.
--
Michael sees off the rival gunfighter. Not a time traveller, it seems, but a mage from this era.
--
The Berkeley Hermetics arrive at the regatta - Georgiana, two young men called Daniel and Jian, and their mentor, Dr. Alder,
Alder: "Visitors from the future. I can tell more easily with some than others. Your guardian is... Well, short of Annie Oakley I've never met a woman like her."
Cara: "... Thanks...?"
And seeing them all together gives them a better lead to track the time resonance.
Simon: "And Alissa is over there being charmed by boys."
Georgiana: "So I see..."
--
Returning to Cara's, they find Michael waiting.
Michael, casually: "So I got in a gunfight."
Cara: "Are you okay?"
Michael: "Yeah."
Simon: "Because of our research?"
Didi: "Or just because you've always wanted to?"
Michael: "The former." He shrugs. "Although, yeah, obviously."
Cara: "I know I say this a lot, but, BOYS."
--
And so another meeting the next day:
Simon: "Found him."
Cara: "Who is he?"
Simon: "Dr. Henry Cabot."
Didi: "Dunno him."
Simon: "He's one of ours. Had a falling out with the Library council a few years back. I met him when I was just starting."
Cara: "So why's he doing this now? Never had the power before?"
Simon: "That would be my guess. Which makes him, A, powerful, and B, patient."
Didi: "And also C, arrogant."
Alissa: "That tends to go with A."
Simon: "Yeah. I still don't know what his ultimate plan is, but he's obviously preparing to rewrite history. And if that works it changes our world, and if it goes wrong..."
Michael: "Boom?"
Cara: "So what's our plan? Can we take him out?"
Simon "If we do we might need another way home. I know you've been thinking about that already. But that's assuming we even can."
Cara: "So I guess we confront him. Any idea where?"
Simon: "You're not gonna like it..."
--
And cut to Cara's maids helping her into yet another fabulous evening dress.
--
![]() |
| Cara doing nothing to dispel the suggestion that she's a queen |
![]() |
| Didi back in her natural colour scheme |
A concert by a string quartet, solo violinist, pianist, and soprano singer.
![]() |
| "Hush! The Concert" by James Tissot |
The recital is lovely, and gives the circle opportunities to catch up with their new selves' friends, would-be husbands and social enemies.
Cara gets to shrug off backhanded compliments from Cecilia.
Alissa gets to flirt and fluster Edward and Jonathan, who each notice they have competition.
--
Finally Simon points to one of the boxes.
Cabot.
And he's not alone.
The gunfighter and three others...
--
4A06: Sup With A Long Spoon
In which the circle meet the man responsible for their current predicament.
30/08
And as soon as Simon points them out, Cabot looks over and gives them a nod and a gracious smile.
Cara: "Well, so much for catching him by surprise."
![]() |
| Marc Bannerman as "Bowler Hat" in The Nevers If I'm reading the credits correctly |
Cabot approaches the circle during the intermission, flanked by his four companions. Two Mages he brought with him and two from this era. A woman with a small notebook held tightly and a suspicious look to Simon as they recognise each other, a woman wearing symbols of five different religions on one necklace, the gunfighter sizing Michael up, and a man with an athletic build studying Cara's every move with a derisive smirk.
Cabot: "Well now. Or should I say, well then. The guardians of the Traditions. The acolyte, the sword, the druid, the ballerina, the clown."
Didi: "Hey, don't talk about Simon like that!"
Cabot: "I can see the lingering echoes of a portal opened by one of my contemporaries. Martin Lambert, I would guess? He pressed you into his fights before, didn't he, Doctor Donovan?"
Simon: "Just once."
Cabot: "And he sent you here and now after me. Did he explain what I intend to do?"
Didi: "He, uh, didn't have time. Ironically."
Cabot: "Hm. Then allow me. I have reached the level of power and understanding that I can move back and forth in time. And have come to the years before the founding of the Traditions' Library here to ensure that the Pacific coast is as welcoming to our way as can be. This region had one brief lightning bolt of magic a few years ago with the Gold Rush and it took the Traditions decades to capitalise on it. and it won't see another for almost a century. Without direction there will be isolated researches that go nowhere, factionalism and academic politics the same as anywhere else wasting this land's promise of new opportunity, and the rise of the forces of Chaos that you yourselves will have to fight over and over."
Cara: "And with your direction?"
Cabot: "Unity of purpose, knowledge more than a century ahead of its time. A shining city for the mystic arts. A Concordia on Earth."
Cara: "Oh. Got it. You're mad."
The unarmed fighter squares off against her.
Akashic: "Big talk for a little lady."
Cara: "You wanna go?"
Cabot smiles and raises a hand for him to stand down.
Cabot: "I was concerned that you might think that, which is why I did not come alone, and will rewind this meeting if you make a move to attack me. Would you consider helping me, steering the course of the future?"
Cara: "I don't think so."
Cabot "Pity."
Simon: "So why now, not right after the Gold Rush?"
Cabot's time travelling allies share a look. Cabot shrugs.
Cabot: "The city did need infrastructure. But I'm still a decade ahead of the original schedule."
Alissa notes the hesitation.
Cabot: "So, I suppose you plan to get in my way. I quite understand. I see three options there. I win and you're erased or at least turned into your current roles, that would be a shame. Stand down and return to the portal, and I can send you back to your present. That timeline will become a shard but you will be quite safe. Or to the time I rewrite if you prefer."
Cara: "Leaving everyone in this timeline at your mercy."
Simon: "Assuming you get everything right. If you don't, both timelines get unravelled. You at least, probably us, maybe everyone."
Cabot: "O ye of little faith, Simon. Anyway, the third option, you win and... what, kill me? Clap me in irons?"
Cara: "Depends how fast you surrender."
The Akashic shifts into a fighting stance again, and the gunfighter as well.
Cabot: "And then... what? Settle in to your lives here, with no-one to send you back?"
He smiles as the circle pause.
Cabot: "I mean that wouldn't be so bad, would it? One of you already wants to stay." He looks to Alissa. She looks away.
"Two of you are enjoying it immensely even if just for the moment, and wouldn't mind being stuck here." Didi bites her lip and Michael looks away from the gunfighter to meet Cabot's gaze.
"One of you would be sad but get over it." Simon grimaces.
"And one grows closer to embracing it with every day of luxury, though she won't admit it even to herself." Cara glares at Cabot as he smirks.
Cabot stirs his tea. "Well. I have made my offer. I mean you no harm, my friends, hence choosing to meet now that my plan is already in motion. A new world is coming, a world where you could be celebrated as the heroes you are. Or you could stay here and live in luxury. Or if you prefer I could send you back to your ordinary lives hiding your true wonder. We will speak again at full moon. The choice is yours. Have a good night."
With that, he and his agents blur, move backwards as the clocks wind back, and vanish.
No-one else seems to notice as time resets itself.
Alissa pinches the bridge of her nose, hurt by the feeling of being too close to that.
Alissa: "They're gone. I might be able to get some warning if they reappear, a couple of them were ready to throw down so they might pop back up if we keep bugging them. I take it we're not taking the deal and going home."
Simon: "No. Even if it worked we'd be abandoning a whole universe to his ideas."
Cara, gently: "Or the offer to stay. Do you want to?"
Alissa: "I don't. Not all of me anyway. Part of me, yeah..." She smooths her skirt gracefully. "And part of you too."
Cara: "Okay, yes, I admitted it already, I'd like to not have to fight monsters ever again, or make my own coffee or load the washing machine. And yeah, dressing up and having lots of guys want to marry us is kinda fun too. But that also means never going home, even after we stop him." She looks back to the empty chair. "And we are stopping him, that's not a question of if, that's a question of how."
She looks around for agreement, and gets nods.
Alissa: "Well, one thing, he wasn't telling the whole truth about why now and not earlier. Something's happened since 1849 that means he couldn't do this then."
Simon: "That's a start."
Didi: "And I have an idea I need to check about that."
Simon: "Good."
Didi: "Also he did the villain monologue and offered to let us walk. If he coulda just zapped us he woulda, I don't really think it's an 'I like you too much to do that' thing.. And that means we can stop him."
Nods all round.
Didi: "Or that he really, really likes the sound of his own voice."
Didi: "Maybe both."
Nods all round.
The intermission ends and the circle return to their box seats.
Simon scribble notes about Cabot's apprentice, who he's met a few times but doesn't really know. Cara adds that the Chorister has been at Library events but they've never spoken, and she can guess the unarmed fighter is an Akashic and his preferred fighting style just from his stance when he got offended. Michael doesn't know what the gunfighter can do, except not get shot when he was shooting at him.
Cecilia and a couple of her Cordettes check in on Cara as they collect their capes. "Oh, your face, dear heart, you really must let me take you to something you would actually enjoy between now and the ball."
Cara: "I must?"
Cecilia: "Well I want you to consider it when I ask a favour at the dance."
Cara: "I appreciate your candour."
One of Cecilia's sidekicks: "By the way is your cowboy attending?"
Edward approaches Alissa as they leave. "Are you quite alright? I saw you take your seat and you looked quite troubled."
Alissa smiles gratefully at his concern. "Oh, an old friend of Doctor Donovan's had some bad news, that's all."
Edward: "I am sorry to hear that, Doctor. If there's any way I can help?"
Simon: "That's, uh, very kind of you."
Edward: "I shall let you get on." Back to Alissa: "Will you be at the ah... next thing I might see you at, possibly the races?"
Alissa: "Possibly."
Alissa moves Edward to the front of the pack of possible husbands.
--
Next day the group meet for afternoon tea at Cara's, allowing her to go riding (and discuss who of her friends at the riding club also want to dance with Michael) ahead of that.
![]() |
| Cara and Bluebell |
![]() |
| Didi absolutely not planning anything evil |
![]() |
| Alissa might be enjoying this, yes. |
Didi arrives carrying a book. "I've got a theory."
Alissa: "Is is a demon? A dancing demon?"
Didi: "Glad somebody picked up what I was putting down. But no..."
She opens the book, a popular light history of the Bay Area, at a marked page.
Didi: "Now it's been a couple years so this might not be it, and he probably has a boring plan like 'take over the library', but... Cabot wants to put himself in charge of California, and maybe everything west of the Rockies. And the big rush of magic and opportunity was back in 1849. But from 1859 till 1880 San Francisco already had a self-proclaimed emperor - " Cara and Alissa, having lived in San Francisco longer than Simon and Michael, nod as they get it. " - and he had enough public support that he got to be the city's lovable weirdo - and print his own money and have people pay for dinner and show tickets and everything."
She taps a picture of Emperor Norton.
Alissa: "So by popular agreement... so by consensus... California had a monarch already."
Simon: "I doubt he's planning to literally make himself king. I mean he's mad with the power but not that kind of mad. I think. But it would be a barrier to some magical control."
Didi: "So it's not just me projecting what I'd do?"
Simon: "Not entirely. But a coronation is a big ritual ceremony."
Didi: "What would he need? A crown and and a throne and...?"
Simon: "A sceptre, robes of office, a place to do it, someone to perform the coronation, enough witnesses to make it count. Not easy to arrange all at once."
Didi: "Okay, probably not the actual plan."
Michael: "But he's doing a power grab of some kind - and this would be a level of mystical protection."
Simon: "So it might be what delayed him. And that's good to know. Means that even with all his Time magic he can't do whatever he wants whenever he wants."
Didi: "Go me."
Simon: "Or he would have won already. Doing it as many times as he had to."
Alissa: "Yeek."
Didi: "And hey, if the coronation would work, if we do it before he does his plan, would that lock him out?" She looks to Cara. "Your Majesty."
Cara: "Ha ha don't make me come over there."
Didi: "I'm just sayin' let's nor rule it out."
Simon: "I think making California a separate country might count as 'making waves'".
Didi: "You guys are no fun."
--
OOC
So now we have a clear enemy, and a plan.
And Didi has a backup plan to make Cara the Queen of California and the Pacific Coast States, although OOC agreement that it would be funny but very out of character. Or would it? It's kind of a heroic sacrifice...
--
4A07: A Gift Horse
In which Simon is made an offer, Cara and Alissa attend a horse race, and the group go to dinner with a warlock.
06/09
Cabot makes himself scarce after the meeting, so the circle continue their researches, as well as the lives they've been dropped into.
The ladies continue to meet with their circles of friends and the gentlemen have more free time.
Simon works with the Berkeley Hermetics and Michael works with Gabrielle on a list of possible rivals Cabot might have to take out, people he might support and causes he might back or oppose.
Simon is in the Free Library later in the week when he is approached by Cabot and his apprentice.
Cabot: "Dr. Donovan. And how goes your research?"
Simon: "You tell me. I'm trying to find a way to stop your plan without getting everyone killed. (deadpan) Could you help?"
Cabot: "I appreciate your spirit. But I also appreciate your logic. I know Miss Lawson is dead set against me and the rest of your circle will follow her lead, but you might give me a fairer hearing."
Simon: "If only to see if you drop any clues."
Cabot: "I'll take it." He takes a seat opposite Simon at the desk. Jane stays standing behind him. "My plan is long term, my hope to make this city a beacon for Magi will take generations. I can use my time better than most, but I am still limited but how long I have." He nods to his apprentice. "Jane came with me as my right hand, but also as my heir. She will have to ensure the city recovers in a suitable way after the earthquake in 1906. It would aid her greatly to have you at her side."
Simon looks to Jane and back to Cabot. "I think you're mad."
Cabot: "Very well. I am simply suggesting that, when my work is done and if you have not chosen to return home but instead to fight, that just in case I win, you have a chance to affect my plan going forward."
With that he rises and leaves. Jane follows, with a look back to Simon, gauging his reaction.
--
Simon informs the circle at the café.
Simon: "He's coming after us on our own, trying to divide and conquer."
Didi: "So, uh, did he just try to get you to marry his apprentice?"
Simon: "I don't think it went that far." (pause) "I don't think..."
Cara: "But he's starting to consider negotiating. Could be a good sign."
Simon: "Felt more like an offer of mercy..."
Cara: "I imagine that was the idea."
Then they are approached by a man delivering a letter.
Cara takes it, shows the seal to the group - Simon frowns - and then breaks it.
Handwritten, fine calligraphy, addressed to all five of them.
"Professor Morris Whitman requests the company of your spiritual circle for dinner at his home in order to discuss a matter of mutual concern, Sunday 7.30 p.m. RSVP"
The messenger waits for a response.
The group discuss this quietly.
Michael: "Should I know who that is?"
Simon: "He's one of the local Mages I was hoping we could avoid. He's a warlock. Used his power to get rich in the Gold Rush."
Alissa: "Okaaaay, what does he want with us?"
Simon: "Guess we'll have to find out."
Cara sighs and nods to the messenger.
--
Saturday comes, and Cara accompanies Alissa to the horse races at Bay District Racing Track.
Alissa dallies with Edward. He's able to talk about horse racing confidently, happy to have figured out something he can actually impress her about. She smiles and lets him enthuse.
Cara chats about everyday things of the era with some of the ladies from the riding club, and is cornered by Cecilia at one point as well.
Cecilia: "Cara, dear, so lovely to see you at one of these things you actually like. I think I even saw a smile before you noticed me."
Cara: "It's possible."
Cecilia: "Good, good." She turns to a waiter and orders cake for both of them. "So, to business. The matter of our respective first dances at the ball. Have Lester or Miles asked yet?"
Cara: "I haven't seen them to have a chance."
Cecilia: "They really must try harder. Here I am ensuring we not step on one another's toes and they've not even approached you?"
Cara: "Boys."
Cecilia: "Precisely! But that makes my request a little easier, Lester will have a chance to ask me at this terribly dull lecture tomorrow, so that should be settled. As for you... you know about the cavalry captain making eyes at you from the next stand, I take it?"
Cara glances over subtly, and sure enough, there's a guy rocking the uniform who she's spoken to in passing at the riding club.
Cecilia swishes off before Cara can say anything to make sure he knows that Cara knows that he was looking her way.
And he comes over.
Edgar: "Pardon me if I seem too forward, but I recognised you from the riding club. Edgar Daniels, States Cavalry."
Cara: "Cara Lawson, just someone who has a horse."
Edgar: "Charmed. Your friend Miss Montague informs me you shall be attending the ball for the education fundraiser at the end of the month?"
Cara: "I believe she's right."
Edgar: "Then perhaps I may be so bold as to ask you to dance? At some point if you have a moment free."
Cara: "I think I have at least a moment or two."
Edgar tips his hat and steps back as the waiter arrives, and Cecilia returns from being close enough to hear everything.
Cara: "What was that for?"
Cecilia: "Of course I have an ulterior motive, a dashing gentleman in uniform fills up another line on your dance card and lessens the chance of you having time for the man I'm planning to wed."
Cara: "It would be so much easier if you could just ask boys out."
Cecilia: "Oh, wouldn't it just." She sighs at the thought.
Alissa gives her a So Who Was That Boy look as they head out.
--
The next evening the ladies gather at Cara's to get ready and share a carriage over to Whitman's.
Cara is testing the relative difficulty of moving in a dinner dress rather than an evening dress.
Didi: "It's velvet so it'll be a bit quieter if you have to do any sneaking around."
Cara: (deadpan) "Well that makes all the difference."
Alissa: "Oh, mine is silk, guess I'll be the distraction."
Cara: "Thanks. But hopefully we won't have to do any sneaking. We're just having dinner with an evil wizard land baron." (pause) "Think I can throw this hairpin accurately enough to kill somebody?"
Didi: "If anyone can..."
--
Simon and Michael take another carriage and meet them at Whitman's.
It's a large and foreboding sort of structure on a hill.
Alissa: "Is that the house from Clue?"
Simon: "Quite possibly."
Alissa: "It's literally creepier-looking than the actual haunted house."
Didi: "Okay, just remember, big creepy Victorian manors are, y'know, new in this time."
A butler shows them in and Professor Whitman comes down from the balcony to greet them.
Cara and Michael are the first to notice two other men behind him staying on the balcony out of the light. And another on each side.
Whitman: "So glad you could make it. I know time is an issue for us all..."
He chuckles at his private joke as he waves them to the front room for drinks ahead of dinner at eight.
Cara sits by the arm of a couch, in case she needs to spring into action.
Whitman dismisses the maid once everyone has a drink.
Whitman: "To new friends."
Simon nods for the circle to raise their glasses, but none of them say anything.
Whitman: "Now, my dear young visitors, I suppose you are all wondering why I invited you here."
Simon: "Just a little."
Whitman: "Very well then. You have come from the future to stop a man from your time turning this city into his personal sandpit."
Simon frowns, concerned that he knows that much.
Didi shrugs. "Well, least we don't have to explain it."
Whitman: "He called upon me a week ago, I believe after you spoke with him. He made an offer of partnership. Quite a good offer... if I were to let him rule."
Cara: "And...?"
Whitman: "And I would be giving up a great deal for another man's dream. Seems to me like many of our kind he's an optimist. I've seen what happens when you try to make allies with egos like ours. Do you still have the proverb about too many cooks?"
Simon: "We do, yes."
Whitman: "I have one cook, and her staff answer to her."
Simon: "I see."
Whitman: "I have invested too much into this city to let some interloper take it over. If I wanted to be Mayor I would be Mayor. But as is, I don't want him to be."
Didi: "So..."
Whitman: "I asked the five of you here so that I might gauge the opposition."
Michael: "And we appreciate it."
Whitman: "I wished to ask your plans before enacting my own."
Alissa: (warily) "Uh-huh?"
Whitman: "I am mostly curious as to whether you plan to kill him."
Simon: "Uh... no. We want to stop him but we need to make sure what he's done already doesn't break the timeline."
Whitman: "Oh. Well that's awkward."
Cara: "What are you planning?"
She uses the arm of the couch she was sitting on to quickly push herself up to her feet. He smiles and raises his hands for calm.
Whitman: "Calm yourself, Valkyrie. Oh, she's a firecracker, this one."
Cara folds her arms and waits not very patiently.
Whitman: "You are the experts here and I've no wish to fight you. But my priority is to my time, my life and those of my people. If you assure me you can smooth this over, I will keep my contingency plan in my back pocket. If not... we can discuss that after dinner. At least try the soup."
The circle follow him to the dining room. Cara goes first for ease of backstabbing. Michael lets the men on the balcony know he's spotted them.
The circle are seated. Whitman asks Cara to sit between Michael and Simon so she'd have slightly less room to lunge at him.
Alissa is surprised by how many meat-free options are provided. But there are still a lot of meat choices.
Simon: "So, our purpose here is to preserve the timeline as much as we can. Small ripples only. Too many and we won't be able to return. And we also don't have a way back without Dr. Cabot."
Cara: "Yet."
Simon: "Yet."
Whitman: "Hence you cannot do the most expedient thing." He pulls a drumstick off a quail for emphasis. "Then we are at cross purposes as well, I'm afraid. I would as soon not fight with you, but I will not hesitate if I must. So I have to know what you do plan to do about this, or I will have to act on my own behalf. If I can remove him cleanly I will, and make it up to you as I can. And if I do, I can ensure your lives in my era will be comfortable, if I feel so disposed towards you. But if you oppose me, I can turn the same methods on you. After all, from my perspective you are just one possible future, one that does not really concern me. I can have the river redirected howsoever I choose. Dr. Cabot has ancestors who could be found and dealt with. So do you. If I must, I can ensure none of you are ever born."
Cara sets her fork down.
Didi calculates if she's about to stab Whitman with it. Surely not with the cake knife a couple feet away.
Cara: "So, we should keep you up to date on what we're doing to stop you starting a war or a massacre, is that it? And you're threatening us to get us on side."
Whiman: "In essence, yes." He shrugs slightly.
Cara: "Y'know, you're the third person since we got here to tell me to stay out of their way. Act like you're being generous letting us walk away. I think you're scared we'll try."
Whitman: (flatly) "Do you now, child."
Cara: "I do. Lucky for you we're not here for you. So how about you stay out of our way. And when this is all over we'll leave and you can brag about helping us save the world."
Whitman narrows his eyes.
Cara stands. "Thank you for dinner, Professor. My compliments to the chef, and yes, the soup was good."
She leaves. The others get up and follow her.
Whitman follows them to the dining room door and waves his men off to let them go.
Whitman: "When you're trapped here I hope we can be better friends."
The staff have their carriages ready by the tine they have their hats and all.
Whitman watches them go from an upstairs window.
Alissa: "Did we just piss off a potential ally?"
Cara: "Not one I'd actually trust."
Didi: "Think he'll go to Cabot now?"
Simon: "If he does that'll make him easier to find."
Alissa nods to show she believes that little silver lining.
Michael: "So who was the other person trying to make you back down?"
Cara: "Cecilia."
Michael: "Did you just bet on a warlock not betraying us because some mean girl doesn't want you stealing her boyfriend?"
Cara: "No. But that did inspire how I put it."
Roll credits off Michael's "ahhh shit" expression.
--
OOC
Another villain, yay!
Another villain with an understandable point of view, boo!
Some example dinner menus. Some of it sounds lovely! Some... not so much.
--
4A08?






































No comments:
Post a Comment